Thursday, January 2, 2014

Boy I'm Back II


I left off at - now i have to walk with a cane.I found a very pretty cane in a catalogue and ordered it.  If I had to use a cane it wasn't going to be just any ole cane.  Mine was classy!  But it's funny, walking down the street with the cane, people would look at me, at the cane, back at me . . . And quickly look away.  "This lady was too young to be walking with a cane, yikes that means something is wrong with her!  Look away!"  It was too funny and I experienced that so often that when I wasn't looking at the ground, watching for bumps, raised sidewalks or tree roots to trip over, I would look the person in the eye, flash one of my young, vibrant smiles and say hi.  I freaked them out.  They weren't sure what to do or say to a young, friendly disabled person!  I cracked up!  I have always smiled and said hi to any one that I make eye contact with, I still do.  You can make some one feel better or . . . freak em out!  Not many people are accustomed to people being openly friendly on the streets.  It's a good thing, no matter who you pass, an adult, a homeless person, a child, even a disabled person.  Everyone likes to be pleasantly greeted. It is a very positive gesture to smile and say hi.  I rarely get any thing back but a smile and a hello.  Some times a surprised one, but that's even good.  Start doing it, it feels good.
I went off topic again.  I'm good at that.  Back to my classy cane.  It did help a lot and there is not a reason in the world why someone who needs a cane shouldn't accept that need and go with it. But you're  too young?  When I received my cane, there was no age limit listed on it.  People might look at me funny?  Who cares!  Trip em with it, I bet you're walking much better than you did before you received your cane.  Accept your cane!  Life will take many turns and you have to follow its road.  While it is or should be a wonderful journey, the road of life has bumps.  Just accept them, be grateful for all that is good in your life and the love that surrounds you.  Having MS, I knew by the way that I was progressing that I would be in a wheelchair someday.  Knowing that, my priority was - as long as I could see my children and grandchildren and hold them, that I would be happy.  How has that worked for me?  Next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment